Congress is scheduled to debate funding levels for Global AIDS programs this week in DC. Will you call Senator Majority Leader Harry Reid and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi right now and ask them to provide the funding levels necessary to fulfill US commitments to fight AIDS? (scroll down to end of message for sample script)
Last year PHR members like you helped pass PEPFAR2, the largest investment in global health ever by a single country. Unfortunately, President Obama's budget, released this spring, falls drastically short of what is needed to fulfill US commitments to fight AIDS and fund other global health initiatives. The good news is that Senator Reid and Speaker Pelosi have the power to fix this with the stroke of a pen.
We know the consequences of scaling back on these commitments: more people dying of a treatable and preventable disease. We've heard from partners on the ground in Uganda that they are already turning people away from treatment, although medically eligible, due to uncertainty in funding.
This is unacceptable. Call Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and demand they fully fund US commitments to Fight AIDS and other global health initiatives.
Tell a Friend!
Ask 6 friends and colleagues to make a call too. Copy the below text and paste into the message box on the Tell a Friend page:
The global fight against HIV/AIDS is an important issue to me. That's why I sent a message to leaders in Congress asking them to fulfill US commitments to fight AIDS at home and abroad. Please join me and Physicians for Human Rights in this important action right now.
Director of Outreach
Instructions for Calls:
- Call 202-224-3121
- Ask to be connected to Senator Reid or Speaker Pelosi
- (NOTE: If you are from their district/state, do mention this as you introduce yourself)
- If you are from the following list of States, click here for special instructions for your call: AK, AL, AR, CA, HI, IA, IL, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NH, NJ, OH, PA, RI, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WA, WI, WV.
- Introduce yourself as a member of Physicians for Human Rights and mention the state you're calling from.
- "As a (health professional/medical student/concerned citizen) HIV/AIDS and other global health issues are very important to me. The US is able to fulfill its commitments to fight AIDS through PEPFAR and fund the Global Fund and domestic HIV/AIDS programs. I am calling to ask Senator Reid/Speaker Pelosi to use all of his/her resources during the Appropriations Process to:
- Fund PEPFAR at the full amount of $48 billion over 5 years as authorized by Congress;
- Fund the Global Fund at $2.7 billion dollars; and
- Fully fund domestic HIV/AIDS programs and eliminate the federal ban on needle exchange to provide lifesaving treatment and prevention programs here at home."
To support our work, please make a donation to PHR.
Did a friend forward this message to you? Please consider becoming a part of the PHR online community yourself.
This message was sent to . Visit your subscription management page to modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile. To stop receiving Health Action AIDS, click to unsubscribe. To stop ALL email from Physicians for Human Rights, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via email with "remove or unsubscribe" in the subject line).